Thursday, October 7, 2010

"We must love one another or die...Love always wins."

In class this week we watched Tuesdays With Morrie and I seriously think it was the most touching movie ever! I almost started crying at the beginning of the movie! Even though it was sad, I think there were some really key ideas about America that were explained very well. One of those ideas was how Americans are afraid to love. Mitch did not like talking about his feelings, and he was hesitant to really commit to Janine. I never really thought about it before but Americans are afraid of love. I think a big factor behind being afraid to love is fear of the unknown. It's difficult to put all of your feelings out on the table because then that gives people the ability to hurt you or let you down. I think that a lot of people feel vulnerable when they let their feelings show, and that's not a good feeling. There is also that fear of rejection and not being loved back. It's a scary to thought to put your heart on the line when you don't know if the person you love loves you back. This hesisitancy to love someone is very apparent everywhere, even in SHS. It may not be on the same level as couples that are older and more mature, but kids are definitely more hesitant to show their true feelings. My friend will tell me how much she cares about some guy but she'll refuse to tell him how she feels because of fear. I think that's the biggest factor in the masking of our feelings. I think that we won't be able to really let people into our lives until we learn that it's okay to love. When we learn to love then we learn to live.

1 comment:

  1. Very good points Julia. I agree that people are definitely afraid of the unknown and that is why we are afraid to put ourselves out there. We have to try to stop this. In order to love and let love in we have to put ourselves out there.

    ReplyDelete