Thursday, October 14, 2010
Secret Agents of Socialization
We have many groups in our lives that shape how we live, whether it's by influencing the way we dress or by influencing our overall character. I think that one of the biggest agents of socialization is family. Family is the most influential part of people's lives because they base most of their decisions and opinions off of what they were taught. I think that the different manners and "rules" people learn when they're younger are with them for the rest of their lives. It's funny how usually the principles we grow up with seem to us to be the only right ones. If someone at school or at work does something differently than what you were taught at home, it's common to perceive his or her actions as wrong. Family also has a huge impact on people's opinions. Usually when your parents associate themselves with a certain political party, you find yourself agreeing with them and associating yourself with that same party. I think things like that are due to what is talked about at home. If your parents are constantly bashing a political leader from a different party, it seems like what they're saying is right because you hear it so often. It's almost as if you're not exposed to any other views so you don't have anything else to compare your parents' views to. That whole opinion thing is kinda like what I've experienced in my house with my family. My mom went to a small liberal arts school and ever since I was younger my mom has drilled in my head that small schools are the best. Since she's my mom and I value her opinion, now I'm applying to all small schools. I think it's just crazy, but cool, how people are affected so greatly by family.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
AGREED. Everything around us influences us. The "rules" we learn when we are younger really say who we are now.
ReplyDeleteI agree with your family theory. They definitely influence me the most!
ReplyDeleteoh hey Juju! I definitely agree with you on the political party thing. My parents are very liberal and my brother has worked on several campaigns to help elect democrats. For me, I don't even pay attention to politics but since its such a big thing to my family I just automatically associate myself with being democratic.
ReplyDelete