Wednesday, October 27, 2010
toughGUISE
This week we watched that movie calle Tough Guise. It talked about how violence in boys and men is almost expected. He talked about the school shootings that have occurred and about how most of the boys needed to prove their masculinity. I never thought that the reason the boys were shooting up schools was because of their need to prove their masculinity, but I can definitely understand it now. Our society puts so much on "being a man" and "doing manly things." But I don't understand how in order to be a man, you need to be violent. Sal said that masculinity is a mask that men wear in America. I completely agree. Not every guy is violent, most guys don't even like to fight. But if you went up to a random boy at SHS and tried to start a fight, I think that he would be willing to. Not because he necessarily likes to fight and get physical, but because if he didn't then that would be telling everyone that he's a "wuss" or a "bitch". When it comes down to it, I think that most guys are actually sensitive. I feel like they do want someone to talk to if they have problems. Probably not to the extent that girls need people to talk to but I think that desire is still there. But since guys aren't supposed to show their feelings, a lot of guys will pretend that they don't have a soft side. It's kind of funny because I have guy friends at school that pretend to be all tough around their guy friends but when they're just with girls they're completely different; they actually show emotion! I think that even proves even more how masculinity is just a mask.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree than men feel the need to prove their masculinity and that for many masculinity is just a mask.
ReplyDeleteI actually disagree that most of the guys at school would feel the need to prove their masculinity with a fight. I'd hope that most would ask why, at least. But so many do use it as a mask, which is bad.
ReplyDeleteI think that you make some good points but also some generalizations. I know if someone challenged me to a fight, I probably would just walk away because I feel I do not need to prove anything. I think that many of my friends wouuld not have a problem turning down a fight either. I think guys that are more insecure may give in though. Nice post.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Connor I personally think that I would walk away from a fight since I do not think that a fight proves anything. Typically, people talk about it for a day and then all the drama is over and everyone forgets about it.
ReplyDeleteBe sure to reinforce with these guy friends that you think it is manly for them to not wear that mask. Guys need girl allies to help them change their construction of masculinity.
ReplyDelete