This week we watched Crash, and it was honestly one of the most amazing movies I've ever seen. The whole point of the movie was to look at race and how we're socially constructed to think about it. It also showed how even though we may not want to think it, there is a little prejudice in all of us.
Throughout the entire movie, more and more stereotypes were played on. Ludacris and his friend were portrayed as the "bad black guys" and when they ran over the Asian man, I'm sure we all thought that he was just some innocent man. What was really crazy about the movie was how they proved a lot of the stereotypes wrong. The Asian man that appeared to be solely a victim was actually a human trafficker, defying the stereotype that all Asians are perfect, innocent people.
There is so much racism and stereotyping in the world today that I think it's hard for people not to be racist or stereotypical. I'm faced with stereotypical comments all the time because I'm Asian. Whether it's because I'm not "smart like Asians" or because I'm not good at math or even because I have freckles, the comments are always surprising at first, even though I've been exposed to them all my life. I think people need to know that everyone is different; everyone has unique qualities. Only when we can accept that fact, we can stop being so racist.
I agree, stereotypes create these supposed perceptions about people, but a lot of the times they're totally off. Also, I really like the quote you used. I think it sums up the entire movie.
ReplyDeleteI agree that people need to stop being surprised when people defy stereotypes because it happens WAY more than we think!
ReplyDeleteGood points. I agree that stereotypes are alive and well and we must to our best to stop following their ideas.
ReplyDelete