Thiss week we learned all about social class. We played monopoly and felt what it was like to be in a certain class for our whole lives. We also watched another 30 Days video, and this time the guy and his fiance were living a low-wage life for 30 days. It wasn't until I saw this video that I really took a second to think about everything I have in my life. The kids that go to SHS, myself included, take so many of the resources we have for granted, and I don't just mean the things that are provided for us in school. We're all so lucky to be able to have a solid roof over our heads, hot meals, clothes to wear, and just a lot of different material goods. It's crazy to think about adults that have to support their families while making minimum wage. We kids see something in the store for $5 and we think, "That's so cheap! Let's buy it!". But for people that only make $8.25 per hour, that $5 is a lot. Watching the movie made me truly thankful for everything I have in my life, and I can't really picture it any other way.
It's sad to think that there are so many families in the world that are just struggling to survive. America is the wealthiest country in the world and we still have so many people that are homeless and living out on the streets. It's hard to think that once you're born into a certain class that you'll stay there for the rest of your life, but it seems to be pretty realistic. I think we should do more for those families in need, and maybe try living like them for a little. I don't mean try it for 30 days or anything, but I think it would be interesting to try and keep yourself on a tight budget and see how you really change. I think that's the only way people who are lucky enough to have what they need can really understand how it feels to not have anything.
No comments:
Post a Comment