Sunday, November 28, 2010

'tis the season...

So, yesterday I went to Deer Park to wrap gifts for part of my community service. My shift was from 10-12, and I was actually excited to be able to wrap a ton of presents and help people out, while at the same time helping Habitat out by raising money for them. Guess how many people stopped by our table to get their things wrapped? ONE. In the two hours that my friend and I were sitting at the table, ONE nice lady came up and asked us to wrap some of her items. It was also in the last 5 minutes of our shift. I was honestly shocked. First of all, the table wasn't even stationed in a place where people would be able to see us. Then, when my friend tried to stand at the door and let people know that we were back there, she got yelled at for "solicitingo"! I mean, I kind of get how that would look bad for the store, but it wasn't like we were asking people to donate money to a fund to help us buy a new car or something; it was to help people without a house! I just thought it was really interesting to think about how people can be so selfish sometimes. There were so many people that would walk by our table, glance at our sign, and then just keep on walking to get a cup of coffee. Would it be so hard to just put in a couple bucks to help someone else out for the holidays? It was kind of funny, because this girl walked up to our table maybe 15 minutes before our shift was over and we got so excited! Like we were finally going to get to wrap something. But the girl walked up and said, "Can I borrow a pen and something to write on?" We were actually kind of shocked. I haven't done gift wrapping like that in a long time and I forgot how rewarding it was to actually wrap presents for other people. I also didn't realize how people can be so selfish. Supposedly the holidays is a time for giving and happiness, but I didn't see a lot of that going on yesterday. Maybe it was because they didn't really know what cause we were working for. Maybe if they would have had a better idea of what Habitat for Humanity was, then they would have been more generous. It was just a very eye-opening experience overall.

2 comments:

  1. WOW. I can't believe that. I hope more people come to my table when I wrap next week. It sounds like Barnes and Noble's needs to put the table somewhere more noticeable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really suprised that only one lady came to ask you guys to wrap something. Maybe it was because of the placement of the table, or just the fact that people have been so concerned about their status and class that they stopped worrying about others. No matter what the reasoning, more people should donate.

    ReplyDelete