In reality, a majority of our thoughts and opinions toward certain things are that way because of how society constructs them. Does that make sense? With the idea of Social Construction, society has turned saliva into more than something that just sits in your mouth to help you dissolve food. When it's outside of your mouth, it is then considered spit. I think that's so weird! It is interesting to think about how and why society shapes the way we think about things; we're raised with certain ideas and morals that our parents teach us. There are certain things that are acceptable for some people to do, while they can be totally inappropriate for someone else. Once again, it's just the way society has formed opinions. For example, it's acceptable for a pro baseball player to spit all he wants during a major league game, but if I see a boy walking down the street and I see him spit, I always think it's gross! But then why do I think it's gross? In fact, people could look at saliva and think that it's way more gross to actually swallow the stuff. But swallowing saliva is fine because it's socially acceptable. People expect you to swallow your saliva, it's "normal".
This one time I was at the beach with my family in Massachusetts, and we saw this women that was naked! We were all really grossed out by it and we were wondering why she would come to the beach with no clothes on. But thinking back on that now, maybe she came from a country where nude beaches were the only beaches she knew. If she was raised with the idea that going to a beach without clothes on is perfectly fine then of course she would be so open about it. I"m sure that if I were to go to a nude beach with all my clothes on I would be stared at by people wondering what I was thinking! It all depends on where you live and what you know. What is socially acceptable where you live is what you will ultimately deem acceptable also. Anything else just seems weird.
I liked your personal example. And with the spit part, I agree. It does seam very disgusting to swallow your own spit. Why though. We tend to think of things how everyone thinks of things. We think that it would be gross because others think it is. Funny thing is chad was actually gonna drink his own spit. --- Interesting..
ReplyDeleteGreat example. Conversely, I was at a swimming pool this summer and a Muslim family was swimming and they were fully clothed! They had robes on from head to toe. It was almost as different to me as someone swimming naked. Funny.
ReplyDelete