Sunday, September 12, 2010
What's my status?
Usually people tend to share bonds with other people that are similar to them. Sharing common interests makes it easier to communicate and connect on different levels. But even though people may seem every similar, they can be very different at the same time. During the activity we did in class it was cool to see what groups made up people's lives and what was important to them. Religion was very important to some people while it was not even listed as a group for someone else. People are shaped by their experiences, and they're also shaped by how they've been brought up. It was interesting to see the different roles that the class picked as the most important ones. Often times a status or role is given to you by the people in your life. It's weird to think that we are so influenced by the people that are important to us. For example, in my group of friends I am typically labeled as "the leader". I'm the one that is always making plans and making sure everyone knows what they're doing. I also think that I carry that role or status with me when I'm with other people. I have many groups that make up my life , such as friends and work, and sometimes they conflict eachother. It's difficult to maintain my role as a hostess for work and at the same time have a social life with my friends. Having to play multiple roles is a part of my life but it is not always easy. I think it's important not to judge other people on what we see on the outside or even on what we think we know about them. It's easy to see someone and judge, it's not a very good habit but we all know it's natural. We may think we know the whole story, but the truth is there is so much about people that we really don't know. I think by doing that group activity in class we were able to learn things about eachother that we would be able to take to heart and really appreciate.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with you when you say its weird to think about how influenced we are by other people. We think most of our decisions are our own, but in reality thats not completely true.
ReplyDeleteJulia! (:
ReplyDeleteI am the "leader" in some of my groups too! Especially whenever there are group projects at school. Sometimes is nice having a responsible role, but it's stressful too! I think it's interesting that everyone has so many important groups and significant roles in each of them. Those groups and people are usually something we value, especially if they're closely connected to us. So it is nice to see the different people and roles that are important to others.
I also am part of groups that conflict with each other a lot. I agree that it's so weird to think that all of these people you are with shape you into who you have become.
ReplyDeleteI agree that your experiences along with how you've been brought up mold the person you become. A lot of the times, your roles in certain groups do overlap and its important to be able to manage all the important parts of your life. I also think its very true how you mentioned that you don't really know as much as you may think you do about a person. Everyone is going through their life, dealing with their own situations and this may not be apparent just from "judging" a person or meeting them for the first time.
ReplyDelete