Thursday, September 23, 2010

CuLtUrE sHoCk!

The card activity that we did in class is a great example of how we react to different cultures. Each table represented a different culture because every table had a different deck of cards and a different set of rules. I thought it was cool to see how our lack of talking affected how we reacted to playing with people from different "cultures". It was hard for us to communicate because we were so shocked about how the other cultures were playing. When someone thought their 2 of hearts trumped someone else's 4 of clubs, it created some tension because both people thought they won. This activity we did can be compared to the real, bigger picture in life. When people go to different countries and experience different cultures, often times they experience culture shock. Culture shock is when you are introduced to a culture and become confused with its different customs, traditions, and ways of life. It is common and almost expected to think that what is culturally and socially accepted in your society is the right way of doing things. But the truth is that there is no wrong or right way of doing anything. Different places hold different standards and cultures, but just because they're different it doesn't mean they're wrong. When I was on vacation in Santiago, Chile back in 8th grade, I thought it was so weird how EVERYONE kissed when they greeted eachother. I would see men kiss eachother and think, wow that is so weird, why would they do that? But then I realized that it  maybe be weird for me because I was experiencing culture shock. I wasn't used to being kissed by strangers or even seeing strangers kiss eachother, so that's why it was all so weird to me. But the people that are native to Chile don't think that it's wrong because that's the way they live. That's part of their culture. I think the most important thing we can do is be open-minded about other cultures. We may look at other cultures and think, wow they are crazy, but I'm sure many cultures good look at Americans and say the same thing.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with what you said. There is no right or wrong set of customs and ideas. It's all perceived by an individual or society to be right or wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you said that just because one culture and its ways are different than yours, doesn't mean one is wrong and one is right. Every culture in our world adds to the diversity of the world, which makes life very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that there is not one right way to do something, and because something is different than how you do it, doesn't make it wrong. Different cultures have different ways of doing things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Julia Gulia I would have to agree with your ideas. The fact that we could not talk was essentially the same as a language barrier and the rules was the cultural barrier. Good post.

    ReplyDelete