Wednesday, August 25, 2010
Outliers
I think it is very common to associate people's actions and behaviors with their individual decisions, but after reading the article about Roseto, it is clear that people are influenced, and even fuel off of their environment. It's weird to think that the people of Roseto were able to eat unhealthily and still live very long lives. But then that makes you think about why so many people in the world are unhealthy. We can't all be happy and carefree like the people of Roseto, so I think that does contribute to the amount of people that suffer from different illnesses. Being healthy isn't just about being physically sound, it's about being happy and at ease with the life you live. When you're happy, you feel better, and I think that physical health does follow after. It's interesting to think about how big of an influence your environment has on you. When my great grandpa was only 50, he died of a heart attack. My great grandma was always extremely physically healthy. But as she got older, the absence of my great grandfather took a greater toll on her. When she reached 98, she was so lonely and sad that she just gave up the will to live. She died in her sleep, but it wasn't of a heart attack or any illness; it was because of her lack of happiness. I'm sure that she could have lived many years after that but she wasn't happy, so her body wasn't as healthy as it could have been. I know it's not the same exact thing that happened with the people of Roseto, but I think it shows how people are affected by how they feel, and the people around them. My great grandma's death didn't have anything to do with the food she ate, or any kind of diet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Way to tell people that they cant be happy and carefree hoolia ... i say live life and just enjoy what comes . find a community that you belong with and become close so that the people that surround you are like you and make you happy.
ReplyDeleteIt's really interesting how happiness makes an impact on health. On the other hand, some things that make people happy aren't healthy, and people who are healthy aren't always happy. So I guess there'll never be an absolute answer for living long?
ReplyDeleteI think you make a very valid point by saying that because of the environment you live in, and experiences you've had, your health can vary. I have a very similar experience with grandma that you had with your great grandma, except mine wasn't so healthy. But I agree with you that the environment has a direct effect on you and your health
ReplyDelete"It's interesting to think about how big of an influence your environment has on you." I totally agree with you on that. The people we live with, the people we hang out with, the people we go to school with, all have a big impact on us. Everyone isn't perfect, so we all live different lives from one another. But since we are together basically all the time, we interact in the same ways. The fact that we're always surrounded by one another.
ReplyDeleteThe enviroment you live in deffinately influences the way people are. For example, I am on the basketball team and I am always in the gym practicing. My friends all revolve around basketball. How we dress , how we act, and what we talk about all revolves around our environment that we are constantly working out in the gym and trying to become better. Your environment deffinately affects not only your appearance, but also your personality.
ReplyDeleteIt really is true that the society and enviornment that you live in for your life shape who you are, as a person physically and mentally. It's weird to think about the fact if your happier and living a fulfilling life, you could be living a longer life then someone who only ate the best foods and exercised everyday. Overall, you just want to be in the best enviornment you can be.
ReplyDeleteJulia you have a very vibrant blog. I think it is affecting us probably right now. All of the bright colors seem to brighten up the mood. And I do agree with you about the outliers. I think we see our environment affecting us in a ton of different situations. For example something like how we probably behave differently in school than with our friends. It happens all around us and we dont even realize it all the time. Good post.
ReplyDeleteThere is a lot of evidence showing how when one person from an elderly couple dies, it affects the other. Sometimes the other dies shortly after. So it is very interesting how all of these factors influence health.
ReplyDeleteRe: Ariel-
There are different types of happiness. For example there is a small sense of happiness when you buy something new - like a new outfit. But this doesn't last. It is temporary. Real happiness is contentment and sustainable, but also a work in progress.